Over Ripe Bananas
Is there anyone who doesn’t end up with a half bunch of over ripe bananas sitting on their counter every once in a while? I try to freeze those bananas for smoothies before they reach that over ripe point but it just doesn’t always happen. When I don’t manage to freeze them, I default to banana bread. I’ve altered my original recipe to give you this Classic Banana Bread. I actually think this is my new favorite and I’m certain you’ll love it too! This recipe uses four bananas to give you the perfect amount of moisture in addition to delicious flavor. Have an abundance of bananas? Go ahead and make an extra loaf. You can wrap the extra loaf in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for later. Remove it from the freezer at least an hour before serving.
Just Ten Ingredients
Preheat your oven to 350℉ and gather your ingredients – Just 10 ingredients for this Classic Banana Bread. Grab a medium mixing bowl and whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl (I use by stand mixer with a flat paddle attachment), mash up the bananas. Add sugar and mix until combined. Add vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. On low speed, gradually stir dry ingredients into banana mixture. Pour batter into a parchment lined loaf pan and bake for 1hr 10min. Use a test stick to verify loaf is baked through. Keep in mind every oven varies slightly on temperature and you may need to adjust your bake time accordingly. My family loves this Classic Banana Bread as is. However, I know there are a lot of people out there who feel banana bread should be made with walnuts. If this is you, stir a half cup of toasted, chopped walnuts into the batter just before pouring it into the loaf pan.
Classic Banana Bread
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 bananas, very ripe
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.
- Beat sugar into bananas until combined.
- Mix in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into banana mixture.
- If using walnuts, stir them into batter.
- Pour baatter into parchment lined loaf pan.
- Bake 1hr, 10min or until a test stick comes out clean.