This is the third year in a row that I have created a new recipe specifically for Valentine’s Day. Probably my favorite holiday to make sweet treats for! But don’t let all the red and pink fool you, these treats are fun to eat year round! First was my Peanut Butter Cut Out Cookies. Then came my Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. This year, I’m bringing you Red Velvet Crinkle Blossom Cookies. Red velvet cookie dough rolled in powdered sugar then topped with a chocolate kiss fresh out of the oven. Absolute perfection.
You know the routine by now, right? Start these Red Velvet Crinkle Blossom Cookies with your dry ingredients. In a bowl, you’re going to whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. This will disperse the baking powder throughout the cookies. You want to do this for two reasons. First, you don’t want anyone to bite into a clump of baking powder. Trust me on this, a clump of baking powder makes for a very bitter bite. The other reason you want to whisk these ingredients is to make sure your cookies rise properly.
In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Make sure you’re using room temperature butter. Beat it with the sugar until it is light in color and texture. In other words, beat it until you think you’ve got it and then beat it some more. Then mix in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring. Yes, this recipe calls for a lot of food coloring. Yes, this is normal for red velvet. We want RED Velvet Crinkle Blossom Cookies, not pink. Finally, you can gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Now chill. Seriously, cover the dough with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. I like to let it chill overnight.
Make Them Pretty
Once your dough is chilled for these Red Velvet Crinkle Blossom Cookies, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350℉. Roll dough into tight tablespoon sized balls then coat heavily in powdered sugar. No need to shake off any excess powdered sugar. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes. As soon as you pull the cookies out of the oven, gently press a chocolate kiss into the middle of each cookie. Let cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack. These are particularly delicious when they are still barely warm and the chocolate has warmed enough to fully melt in your mouth.
Red Velvet Crinkle Blossom Cookies
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1-2 Tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar (may need more depending on how heavily you coat the rolled dough)
- 30 chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix eggs, 1 tablespoon food coloring, and vanilla.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients in. If dough is pink in appearance, add more food coloring until you reach a deep red color.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour minimum (can chill overnight if preferred)
- When ready to bake cookies, preheat oven to 350℉ and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Tightly roll dough into tablespoon sized balls then roll in powdered sugar until fully covered. Place on prepared baking sheet, 3 inches apart. Bake 10 minutes.
- When cookies are fresh out of the oven, gently press a chocolate kiss into the middle of each cookie.
- Let cookies cool slightly before transferring to cooling rack.
These were so delicious that I already ate them all so now having to make more for Valentine’s Day itself! Thank you so much for the recipe
So glad you love them!!
This is pretty much the perfect cookie! Thank you!
Thank you ❤️
I didn’t think anything could beat red velvet cake but these cookies are a game changer! Super easy and delicious!
Definitely a winner! ❤️
My daughter loves red velvet! We made these this weekend for Valentine’s and she loved them!
Love this! Baking with our kids is so fun!!
so pretty and everything is better with a kiss on top!
Thank you 🙂 Definitely can’t go wrong with the kiss!
These are so perfect!! Delicious and so pretty too.
Thank you so much! ☺️
these thumbprint cookes are super tasty and lovely vday treats
Thank you so much, Nancy! Glad you enjoyed them ❤️