I used to think sugar cookies were the ultimate iced Christmas cookie. They are certainly a classic but let’s be honest, they are really just sugar on sugar no matter how beautiful they are. Why not add some flavor to the sweetness? Enter these yummy Lemon Iced Ginger Cookies. Over the last few years I have developed a love for ginger bread. That spice blended with a bit of sweet icing is absolutely delicious. Add in a hint of lemon and I’m hooked; you’re going to have to hold me back from eating the entire batch of cookies!
No Chill Required
Let’s get into the details on these Lemon Iced Ginger Cookies. The first thing I always want to know about a cookie recipe is if I need to chill the dough. Good news, no chill required for these! Preheat your oven and then combine all of your dry ingredients in a bowl. In your stand mixer, beat the sugars, molasses, and eggs. Then gradually add the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. Keep in mind this dough gets relatively thick which is why I choose to use my stand mixer. Once combined, roll dough into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet 2″ apart. Bake 14-16 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack. Using a fork or whisk, combine icing ingredients until there are no more lumps. Top each cookie with desired amount of icing. Enjoy!
- If you prefer a thin glaze instead of icing, add extra milk to the icing until it is the consistency you desire.
- If you need to approach this recipe in steps, tackle the cookies one day and ice them the next day.
Lemon Iced Ginger Cookies
For the Ginger Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
For the Lemon Icing
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, cloves, salt and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar with granulated sugar and butter. Add eggs and molasses. Mix in dry ingredients 1 cup at a time.
- Roll cookie dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on the parchment paper. Leave 2-inches between the cookies. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and transfer the cookies from the parchment to cooling racks.
- Once cookies are cooled completely, add icing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until powdered sugar fully mixed into milk (there should not be any lumps). Spread icing over cookies as desired.
Looking for more holiday cookie ideas? Check these out!
Peppermint Sugar Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting