March brought more blogging challenges than I’ve had in a while. As with many aspects of life, there are seasons of smooth, easy success. And then there are seasons where it seems like absolutely nothing is working. Last month, I had fail after fail after fail. I always have a running list of recipe ideas. I assign a few ideas to each month in my calendar to keep me going on new recipes and posts. With a goal of accomplishing a few new recipes each month, that list is essential. So during the month of March, I hit that list like I normally would. But this time, nothing was working out. I tested recipe after recipe and in the end, I only succeeded in getting one new post up on this site (here’s looking at you, Green Pea Hummus). Where does a food blogger go from here? You keep trying. Plain and simple, you keep going. And my next move was turning lemons into… cookies. To be honest, even this recipe for Lemon Crinkle Cookies took more trial and error than I prefer. But, I have to say, all of that effort has paid off and I am incredibly happy with these cookies!
These Lemon Crinkle Cookies are a great balance of sweet, bright lemon flavor without being tart – the perfect lemon cookie. While creating this recipe, the first batch actually went straight into the garbage. Yes, it was that bad! But the potential was there. I love lemon desserts and I don’t give up easily. So, I tweaked and adjusted and then… success! I could eat an entire batch of these. I won’t, but I could. What do you do with extra cookies? I am a fan of freezing cookies but we don’t have room in our freezer right now. Instead, I brought these cookies to work and I’m so glad I did. I love sharing treats but I also appreciate getting honest feedback on new recipes. The praises were high on this one. I mean “these are my new favorite cookies” is not something I take lightly. Or how about “best cookies ever” as an unprompted review? Give these Lemon Crinkle Cookies a try for yourself and let me know what you think!
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- yellow food coloring
- 1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix eggs, zest, and lemon juice into butter and sugar.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients in.
- Stir food coloring in a drop or two at a time, until you reach the desired brightness of yellow.
- Chill dough for a minimum of 1 hour. Can be chilled overnight.
- When ready to bake cookies, preheat oven to 350℉ and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls then roll in powdered sugar until fully covered. Place on prepared baking sheet, 3 inches apart. Bake 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.