I am a grazer – I tend to eat smaller meals and add in snacks throughout the day. In theory, this is a healthier way to eat. But that theory goes out the window if you’re reaching for chips or candy all day long. I need something new that isn’t over-processed. A snack like cashews is ideal because the protein helps me feel full without eating a huge portion.
The biggest issue I have with the seasoned nuts I find in my local stores is that the salt and seasoning tends to be over the top. Yes, I want flavor but I don’t want to still taste my snack an hour after eating it. I kept the spice mild so you won’t get overwhelmed here but you can easily take things up a notch if you want to.
- These are full of flavor but not necessarily spicy. If you want to add more heat, increase the amount of cayenne pepper into the blend.
- Don’t skip out on stirring the cashews periodically during the roasting process – this helps to give them an even roast.
Chili Lime Roasted Cashews
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb raw, unsalted cashews
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice and honey. Add in all seasonings and whisk until well blended. Stir cashews into spice mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Spread cashews on lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. Cashews will take on a golden, reddish color but should not blacken.
- Spread roasted cashews on paper towels and allow to fully cool before eating.