I’ve been on a sweets kick over the past few weeks. Sorry, not sorry about that. In a way, I’m just going back to my roots with this post though. Baking is what first drew me to the kitchen. And chocolate chip cookies? Isn’t that what most of us first learn to bake with? My daughter has known the basic ingredients for chocolate chip cookies since she was two years old. We’re still working on measurements but I love that she can call out the ingredients we need as we grab them from the pantry and fridge.
Even though this is my fourth chocolate chip cookie recipe (you can find links to the others at the bottom of this page), I know I will create more in the future. This has become my favorite cookie to play with and make variations of. Honestly, you guys have also been a driving force behind these recipes. I’ve heard stories about you using my chocolate chip cookie recipes to teach your own kids how to bake. Stories about making my recipes for special occasions. It means so much to me to know that you all are incorporating my cookie creations into your own traditions and communities! Without further adieu, here is the latest version. I really think of this one as a classic chocolate chip cookie. It makes only a dozen because some folks have a need for small batch recipes. That being said, these cookies are larger than I usually make and they are full of flavor.
Perfect Dozen Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar and butter. Scape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter and mix until combined.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips then chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once chilled, scoop 6 heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking sheet and bake 17 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Enjoy cookies warm with a glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream.