I currently have two food obsessions. First, popcorn. My daughter and I have been sharing a bowl of popcorn after school lately. We sit on the front porch and snack while we wait for my husband to get home. She isn’t old enough for this to become a long-term memory for her but I’m holding it dear to my heart. When I look back at my own childhood memories, it is the simple moments of quality time with my parents that are my favorites. I am trying to be fully present in these little moments with my daughter so that eventually they become memories for both of us.
My second food obsession of the moment is homemade granola. I’ll eat it as a bowl of cereal or mixed in with some yogurt. If nothing else is available, I’ll just eat it by the handful. I have rarely bought granola in recent years simply because of the frequently high sugar content. One of the things I love most about cooking is knowing exactly what is in my food. Granola incredibly easy to make, my daughter was able to put it together with me helping her with measuring ingredients. Granola is also easy to customize. You can keep it simple or add in all sorts of nuts or dried fruit. I’ve been making a batch every week over the past month and this particular recipe is too good not to share with you.
- If you like a chunkier granola, let it cool completely before stirring it.
- I like to store my granola in the freezer to keep it fresh and crunchy longer.
VANILLA ALMOND GRANOLA
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Spread mixture out on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let cool before serving.
Leave a Reply