Is there actually a better meal out there than brunch? The combination of savory and sweet breakfast items plus lunch is arguably perfect. It is also the only time adding a little booze to your diet before noon is not just acceptable but encouraged. Hello mimosas and bloody Marys! Next month I will be helping to host a baby shower with brunch so I’ve had all sorts of ideas running through my head. The hardest part of menu planning will be narrowing down our options.
I can’t quite decide what I like best about this recipe. It is incredibly easy to make with just 8 ingredients. But the bonus is that it would be great served at a brunch or as a grab and go option on a busy morning. I actually made these on a weeknight and then brought them to the office the next morning to share. My co-workers happily grabbed one to take back to their desks as a mid-morning pick me up.
Savory Spinach Turnovers
- 10oz frozen, chopped spinach (thawed)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sheets ready to bake puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain spinach of any excess water. In a medium bowl, stir together spinach, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, shallot and salt.
- Unfold sheets of puff pastry. Cut each sheet into four equal squares. Place 2 Tablespoons of spinach mixture into the center of each pastry square. Fold each pastry square diagonally over spinach. Pinch edges of dough together with a fork. Brush the tops and sides of each turnover with the beaten egg.
- Place each turnover on the lined baking sheet. Bake 16-18 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- You can make the filling a day ahead and refrigerate it until ready to use.
- If you have whole frozen spinach on hand, you can chop it yourself rather than buying the pre-chopped.