Easy Vegetable Fried Rice
An easy base recipe for vegetable fried rice.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked, cold brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon tamari sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
Add rice and vegetables to the pan and cook until tender. Mix in garlic, sesame oil, onion powder, and tamari sauce.
Push rice mixture to one side of the pan. Pour the egg into the other side of the pan and stir with a rubber spatula until curds form. Stir egg into the rice mixture. Add additional tamari sauce if desired.
- 4 servings is based on using this recipe as a side dish. If you prefer to use it as your entrée, double the recipe.
- It is critical to use rice that was cooked earlier and then cooled. If you use freshly cooked rice, you will end up with a pan full of mush.
- This is a basic vegetable fried rice recipe but don’t let that limit you. Feel free to add a protein of your choice or a wider variety of vegetables such as snow peas, bell peppers or edamame.