Turmeric gives a balance between sweet and savory in these ombre shaded muffins.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- Optional: course sugar such as turbinado or demerara for sprinkling on top.
Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. Add milk then remaining dry ingredients.
Scoop batter into muffin pan, filling each cup two thirds full. Lightly sprinkle each muffin with course sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.